A seasonal alternative to the classic bread and butter pudding (and a handy way to use up stale hot cross buns) makes this a perfect dessert for Easter weekend.
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
250ml double cream
6 egg yolks
2 dessert spoon sultanas
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
6 hot cross buns cut in half & butter each side
1) Layer the sliced buns in your earthenware dish sprinkling sultanas between the layers
2) Bring milk, cream, ½ sugar and vanilla to boil, then take off the stove.
3) Whisk egg yolks and remaining sugar in a bowl till it reaches a sabayon consistency. Pour milk mix over eggs and sugar and whisk.
4) Pour mix onto the hot cross buns and leave to soak for 30mins.
5) Cover with tin foil & Bake in pre-heated oven for 30mins at 180oc, take out of oven & leave for 20 minutes before serving.
This recipe was created by the team at The Crooked Well, an acclaimed restaurant in the heart of Camberwell. thecrookedwell.com